Given that the response iq to the publisher may actually be an error, it
wouldn't be a good idea to try sending notifications until after the response
has been sent.

I don't read the spec as mandating the notifications be sent after the publish
response is sent, although it would be the most sensible way to handle it.

The 'then' is more a guide to the flow of stanzas, it would be technically
possible that you send the publish response before sending notifications, but
that notifications are received by some endpoints before the publish response
gets received.

Regards

Kirk