On 06/26/2018 08:48 AM, Dennis Kliban wrote:
The user should be able to specify a page size at request time. The user should also be able to specify which page they are requesting.

+ 1

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 9:31 AM, David Davis <davidda...@redhat.com <mailto:davidda...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    I was looking at the pagination code this morning and there were
    two things I wanted to discuss.

    First, there’s no way to override the number of results per
    request. Instead, page size has to be configured for the whole
    app. Allowing users to override page size is trivial[0] so I
    wonder if we should enable it.

    The second topic is a bit more complex. We currently use cursor
    based pagination where pages must be fetched sequentially as
    opposed to the default DRF pagination method of using page
    numbers. Cursors work great for large data sets as you don’t have
    to figure out things like the number of pages.

    The first problem is that in Pulp we parallelize web requests for
    things like fetching metadata. See our Ansible plugin as an
    example[1]. If we want to support things like syncing content from
    one Pulp server to another, we probably have to use
    offset/page-based pagination for certain endpoints.

    Another consideration is Katello. In Katello’s UI they show the
    number of pages and allow users to jump to arbitrary pages or the
    last page. If we want Katello to stop indexing Pulp data and
    instead query Pulp directly, we’ll need to allow them to use page
    numbers somehow.

    Thoughts?

    [0]
    https://gist.github.com/daviddavis/56a0b86629cd675d57aac61583c01944