12.02.2014 02:14, I wrote:
11.02.2014 20:03, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
We want to support:
* A single main output volume control. Think of things like the Gnome volume applet: when you click the applet icon, you get a single volume slider for controlling the "current output", whatever that means. The Gnome volume applet implements the main volume by using the default sink volume, but we'd like to make the main volume contextual, so that the main volume can control different things at different times. Ideally the contextual logic would be implemented in PulseAudio (by a policy module), not in the volume applet. The volume applet should know when the main volume controls e.g. the headphones volume or the phone call volume.

I tried to answer this with the following worry: the main volume may be something to which the usual slider-based paradigm and the corresponding "get and set a floating-point value" does not necessarily apply. In particular, I was going to talk about the "thumbwheel" from the paper that the proponents of flat volumes use as their scientific basis.

Please ignore this worry, and sorry for the noise.

I came to the conclusion that the thumbwheel idea in the paper is a fallacy directly following from the fact that the author forgot to ask (and answer) a simple question: what would be the loudness of a newly started application that was never seen before. Once you have an answer to this question, you have a slider and don't need a thumbwheel anymore to control the loudness of all applications at once, and thus don't need any sort of increment-based volume API.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov