24.10.2014 00:35, I wrote:
23.10.2014 23:27, Arun Raghavan wrote:
I've not looked at the Wine code for this, but I wonder if we can
guess this by looking at the minreq/tlength values that are returned.

Unpatched Wine just uses ALSA, so, your question is more about the ALSA
plugin.

Indeed, for native PulseAudio clients, it is possible to use
pa_stream_get_buffer_attr() once the stream is connected, and winepulse
patches indeed contain such call. The ALSA plugin does not call this
function. So, this is indeed part of the problem.

I have to correct myself. The ALSA plugin has no way to call this function.

This is because it needs to communicate the "correct" buffer metrics to the program when returning from pulse_hw_params(). However, that function only stores the buffer metrics, and, on return, there is no stream yet. The stream is connected (and thus the buffer metrics are known) in pulse_prepare(), i.e. much later than it would be needed to communicate the actual metrics to the client.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov