14.11.2014 13:37, Andrey Semashev wrote:

As a side note, I think speex-float-1 is a rather poor default as well because
of its quality. Anyone who cares about the sound he gets will likely change it
to something like speex-float-3 or 5 anyway. IMHO.

Initially I also thought so and argued for changing the default. But then I applied a psychoacoustical model and found that on real music that you can buy or download, due to masking, the difference between speex-float-1 and ideal resampler is below the threshold where a human can notice. On artificial testcases, yes, speex-float-1 does produce audible distortions, but who cares? Nobody listens to sine waves.

The prior research is available at the following locations:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-August/021362.html (initial attempt to measure distortions and judge their audibility by means of a psychoacoustical model, on sine waves)

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-September/021811.html (attempt to take non-ideal listening conditions into account, but still on sine waves)

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2014-October/021911.html (the latest results, on real music files - going away from pure tones dramatically changes the picture)

In order to defend your "speex-float-1 is too bad" statement, you need to refute at least one of my bases:

1. The psychoacoustical model described in http://www.mp3-tech.org/programmer/docs/6_Heusdens.pdf

2. The method of collecting a resampler response to sine waves.

3. The implicit assumption that, when a signal with non-trivial spectrum is resampled, the power of distortions at each target frequency adds up linearly. In other words, if two source frequencies contribute to unwanted distortions at one target frequency, these contributions are uncorrelated.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov