On 04.02.2015 12:14, David Henningsson wrote:

On 2015-02-04 11:30, Georg Chini wrote:

On 2015-02-03 15:04, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:49 +0100, Georg Chini wrote:
I think the release notes for 6.0 should be revised to account for
that.

Indeed. Before I update the notes, though, I want to get a decision on
whether we will release with your patch to use both backends
side-by-side (probably implies another rc before final release), or will we postpone that to the next release. Either is fine by me, but I'd vote
for releasing with your patch.

Hmm. I'm not totally sure about the differences between HF and AG so
take this with a grain of salt, but...

The HF role is used when you connect a phone to the computer, in this
case the phone is the
initiator of the connection, your microphone and speakers are on the
computer side.
The AG role is used when you connect a headset to the computer, then the
computer initiates the
audio connection and microphone and speaker are on the headset side.

It seems to me that it's not extremely unlikely that either of us will
step into the other domain in the future, i e, bluez 5 might implement
AG audio or PulseAudio might implement a native support for HF.

Also, if the AG plugin of Bluez 5 supports RFCOMM/AT commands then
we're already partially overlapping, because that's what we use to
set/get headset volume and mic gain. If we enable both backends, will
that then send AT commands from both backends when we try to set the
volume, or...?

No, this will not happen. Only on connection will take place. Usually
the headset tries to connect to
UUID 0x111f (HFP profile) first, if that is not available it tries UUID
0x1112 (HSP profile). Ofono
registers UUID 0x111f with bluetooth while pulse registers 0x1112. So
normally when ofono is
running (and you have an active modem in your system) the headset will
connect HFP to ofono and
pulse will only see the a2dp profile. You can disable the AG role in
ofono though with a command
line switch if you prefer to have HSP connected to pulse.

So while many headsets support both HFP and HSP, there are probably also some headsets which only support one or the other, right? In which case it would make sense for both ofono and pulseaudio to support both HFP and HSP. So; maybe my argument about ofono and pulseaudio potentially overlapping in the future isn't about AG and HF then, but rather about HFP and HSP?

HSP is the older version, that means there are some headsets around which only support HSP. But as far as I know every headset which supports HFP will also support HSP because
HSP is a subset of HFP.
And yes, there is a potential overlap, so maybe your idea of just adding a switch "both" is the best way to handle it. I'll send a patch later today, then you can decide which of the
patches you prefer.

Hence, instead of removing all backend switching code, maybe we should
instead add a switching mode "both" which does what you say. Or
potentially replace "auto" with "both", if "auto" now makes no sense.

Fine for me, I can send another patch to implement it if you like.

Finally, I remember Arun had a strong preference for not enabling the
ofono backend by default, so Arun, could you elaborate upon whether
that still makes sense given this new information?