'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 16/08/09 21:58 did gyre and gimble:
On Tue, 11.08.09 09:31, James Bottomley (james.bottom...@hansenpartnership.com)
wrote:

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 21:36 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Tue, 11.08.09 05:25, Patrick Shirkey (pshir...@boosthardware.com) wrote:

That Skype is a mess is not really anything free software folks can do
anything about. It's closed source. The Linux version is barely
maintained and does about everything wrong that it can do wrong. I
know that some folks believe that Skype's incompat with PA is my
problem. But quite frankly, it is not. It's Skype's problem.
It's not actually. It's the users problem because when they use skype they can't use pulseaudio. Unless of course they have a second sound device such as a usb phone. I personally do have one and maybe it should be recommended as the correct way to use skype on a Linux Audio
system.
Hmm, not sure why having a second audio device should solve any
problems Skype has with PA. Everything Skype can do with the second
audio device it should be able to do with the first.
He means hide the second audio device from PA and use it natively in
ALSA for skype.  It's a solution; just not a very elegant one.

Hmm, but he could temporarily hide the first one too. In fact there is
a tool "pasuspender" which does just that for cases like this.

Yeah but:

pasuspender + app that should basically run for as long as you are logged in != sense.

By having a second card that's not used by pulse allows people to use skype. It's ugly and should be unnecessary but such is life.

I seem to have a *lot* of people that use skype complaining about this. It's a very popular program such is the ugly truth :(

I do hope they release their fabled new version sooner rather than later as it will shut up a large channel of support/complaints I have to field :( Tho' I'm not holding my breath...

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie