'Twas brillig, and Tomasz Chmielewski at 25/11/09 19:02 did gyre and gimble:
Colin Guthrie wrote:

This is typically a permissions problem. Does the "pulse" user (which IIRC is used by system mode) have permissions to open the sound devices?

All right, this was it!

I wish pulsaudio with multiple users was more straightforward one day.

Well it is rather simple with multiple users... just not at the same time!

The multi-seat setup is still rather niche compared to the multi-user setup (e.g. OSX+Windows do the same multi-user stuff we enable OOTB too).

Even on multi-seat systems, most of the time each seat has it's own dedicated device (e.g. USB speakers) or similar. This is being dealt with and will be supported with a standard pulse install reasonably soon (whenever the consolekit/udev support is there basically).

So really, we're not too bad for the 99% percent of use cases :p

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie