'Twas brillig, and Daniel Chen at 25/11/09 19:50 did gyre and gimble:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Vadim Peretokin <vpereto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Currently with PulseAudio, every new app that I start will use the onboard
sound card. I have to manually go to pavucontrol, and change the streams to
my headset

The new gnome-volume-control applet shipped in 2.28 works just fine
for this use case. I know at least it works in Fedora 12 and Ubuntu
9.10 running 0.9.21, having just tested each on a different machine
both with internal audio and a usb audio device.

Yeah (I meant to mention this in my reply too but forgot!). The g-v-c system will actually update the stream-restore database in PA to rewrite the previously stored devices. This is the critical difference between it and pavucontrol in terms of the defaults.

Personally I find it all rather clunky and would like to see more robust handling inside PA in this regard.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie