On 05/12/2010 03:48 AM, Antoine Martin wrote:
On 05/11/2010 11:29 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 12:21 +0700, Antoine Martin wrote:
Add-to-wishlist: ability to use codecs here would be nice. I doesn't
look like I can use ladspa plugins over the tunnel, or can I? If so, how?
1.4Mbit/s is a little high when most modern cpus can compress audio to
192Kbit/s on the fly without consuming any significant amount of CPU.
The lack of compression is a known bug :) AFAIK nobody is currently
working on the feature, though.
That's a shame.
Especially since it consumes the whole bandwidth allocation whether actual sound is being played or not! Ouch. Well, at least when using an ssh tunnel with CompressionLevel=9 you can reduce that down to around 220Kbit/s when idle. (from 1.4Mbit/s) I haven't tried with single-channel 22KHz yet.
Correction, that's ~56Kbit/s idle. (~25 times less, decent saving)
(and no noticeable change when playing real audio)

The SSH transport is not the best place to be doing this sort of compression! Aren't there any open-source codec frameworks that could easily be plugged into the tcp transport?
[snip]