On 2011-05-13 09:49, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
Hello,

Should this commit be reverted?

No.

http://git.0pointer.de/?p=pulseaudio.git;a=commit;h=ade0a6f88464d8aecf83982d400ccfc402341920

I don't know what problem that commit solves,but it introduces a new
problem: if Pulseaudio requests a volume that is above 0dB in the alsa
volume element scale, then it can easily happen that alsa will round the
request down. That rounding is then compensated with software volume,
which in this case is amplification. We don't want software
amplification, or do we?

In short; if we e g have Mic Boost levels at (0dB, 20dB, 40dB and 60dB) and the user wants 30 dB, better have 20dB in hardware and +10dB in software than 40dB in hardware and -10dB in software, as the latter one is more likely to have digital distortion when the signal passes through the ADC.

There is a longer email on this list a while back, explaining more of the philosophy behind, but I can't seem to find it right now.

--
David Henningsson
http://launchpad.net/~diwic