On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Colin Guthrie <gm...@colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> In paprefs you should see DLNA support (perhaps it's labelled as rygel.
> It is via rygel that we support exporting the audio of your laptop as
> DNLA streams. It requires that you manually load
> module-http-protocol-tcp (pactl load-module module-http-protocol-tcp)
> and making sure the firewall is open on it's port (4714 or 4715 IIRC,
> but please check with netstat -ltp :))

The problem is that the PA/Rygel combination only seems to allow the
receiver to "pull" music from the server, rather than have the laptop "push"
the
audio to the receiver. At least I couldn't get the pushing to work, and on
the
Rygel mailing list they pointed out that PA does the actual streaming so
that's
where it'll have to be supported. Pulling is okay for TVs but not great for
stereos.

>  As the author of the Airtunes support in PA I will admit it's still
> kinda lacking. The timing is all a bit messed up and it really needs
> some love. Now that we support passthrough, we'll have to have a look at
> getting MP3 support included too, but that really does require us to
> tidy up the protocol support first (which is pretty hard).

Yeah, I noticed the open bugs related to timing. Oh well, maybe I should try
bluetooth setup. Might have issues with range and obstructions but at least
it's
cheaper than those Airport devices and presumably works well under LInux.

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know if I can get DLNA to work.

Aditya