On 18 Feb 2011, at 10:34 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2011 10:30 AM, "Luke Kanies" <l...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 17, 2011, at 10:48 PM, Ian Ward Comfort wrote:
>>>
>>> I've just put an RFC feature request into the tracker, and I'm curious what
>>> other people think about it. In short, I'd like to have file resources
>>> autorequire all their ancestor directories, not just the direct parent.
>>> Input appreciated.
>>>
>>>       http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/6368
>>>

>> My only real concern here is that edge growth could quickly become
>> exponential.  That is often not a problem, but it certainly can be.
>
> For what it is worth, I understand the problem statement to support triming
> most of those edges without changing behaviour, so we can optimize those
> dependencies away silently and have the same behaviour.
>
> A suggestion for exactly that was already filed on the ticket, in fact. :)

Yeah, requiring just the first managed parent, as suggested, would be
sufficient. I wasn't sure how to implement this, though, from a quick glance
through the code. The logic that iterates over possible autorequires and adds
relationships for anything found in the catalog is up in Puppet.Type.

Any ideas for how to do that trimming?

--
Ian Ward Comfort <icomf...@stanford.edu>
Systems Team Lead, Academic Computing Services, Stanford University