P & S --

The one I currently dont know how to address (besides splitting the
> current type in two fstab-only mount-only types) is #5991

I have to say that this one appeals to me a lot for some reason, though I'm
not as deep in the weeds as the two of you and may be missing subtleties.  I
think it may just be a background bias that splitting a
three-way-merge/reconciliation into two two-way-merges/reconciliations is
generally the right thing to do.

-- M