I am not a DBA, but I've seen the following pattern play out many times: the
DBA says "normalize, normalize!" the developers say "normalizing is a pain,
and in this particular case it doesn't buy us much, etc." and down the road
the DBA turns out to have been right.  Then the developers rediscover the
fact that "normalized --> denormalized" is a much easier migration than
"denormalized --> normalized" is, and there is much gnashing of teeth.

Note also that the fully denomalized form of the facts may well be one to
two orders of magnitude larger than the fully normalized form.

But, as I said, I'm not a DBA.

-- M