I'm having trouble framing a response, in part because I think the question
is posed at the wrong level.

Specifically, rather than talking about the "symbols" that are being written
to state.yaml we should be asking about the conditions that they signify.

The question as posed sounds as if it's about a data format issue (that
symbols are being written, perhaps as opposed to strings) or a data accuracy
issue (that state.yaml was recording "incorrect" information) whereas it
looks to me as if the real problem is that information was being tracked
(generally accurately and correctly formatted) when it should not have been.

I say generally, because the case of the owner being logged as absent when
the content was wrong seem clearly incorrect.

Before we can explore "fixing these in code" I think we need to clarify what
exactly is wrong.  If it's just additional entries in state.yaml the
question will be how to distinguish a file that was correctly reported as
absent from one which was incorrectly reported as absent.

If it's a matter of entries that were factually (and not just contextually)
wrong...

-- M