On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Cody Herriges <c.a.herri...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> Curious.  Which pacman provider do you recommend?

The Arch package comes with a pacman provider, you can take a look at it
here:

https://github.com/thatch45/archpkgs/blob/master/puppet/pacman.rb

I have had no problems with this provider, but it does not have tests and
could probably be better written.

I imagine that someone could whip something better up (I spend most of my
time in python) or at least throw together some tests and get this provider
included in puppet.

I intend to write the needed tests for this provider, but it is low on my
list, and I have been very busy.

As for testing the provider in the real world, I have it running on hundreds
of servers, and have not had problems.

If anyone is interested in whipping up some ruby tests for the provider I
would greatly appreciate it, I am seeing a dramatic increase in Arch Linux
use of puppet, and there are a few areas where Arch Linux support could be
improved, and if puppet labs is interested in furthering Arch Linux support
I will file the bugs and assist with the improvements as best as I can.

-Thomas S Hatch