D --

> >> […]
> confounding
> we
> ruby.
> >>
> >> I would blame stubbing issues, myself.  [...]
> >
> > Frankly, I'm pretty confused by how it happened, and I worked pretty hard
> to "prove" that it was what I
>
> thought it was.  However, the only reason I actually discovered this
> problem is because I went
>
> through and *removed* all of the stubbing that was in this set of tests.
> >
> > So, if it's a problem with stubbing, it's not directly in the tests I was
> using, because AFAICT they're not using any.
> >
> > I'm happy to have this clarified by someone, but I did as well as I could
> at the time and this is as far as I got.
>
> In case it wasn't clear: I would have done exactly what you did, and I
> think your work was correct and sensible.  At the end of the day,
> since the new code is more correct than the old, I don't fundamentally
> care that deeply what the root cause is.  It can ship, and if it makes
> more trouble we can fix that then.

I think we may be talking at cross purposes here: I'm not arguing that the
new code is *less correct*; I'm saying that the change *shouldn't have been
needed*.  If, as appears to be the case, something is causing ruby's
c-libraries to act up (that is, behave in a way that is manifestly
inconsistent with their explicit definition) we ought to at least take note
of it.  Nothing may come of it but, if a few months from now we're trying to
track down segfaults or figure out why certain files aren't being found or
some other mysterious bug 1) having several people aware that this was odd,
2) having the situation that led up to finding it explicated, and 3) having
it all in this thread that we can ask our friend google to dredge up for us
may well save us a lot of hair pulling.

If you find something that looks like a clue, stick it in a baggy with a
record of the circumstances and put it somewhere searchable.  Because it's
far easier than inventing a time machine later when you discover that you
need it.

-- M