On 31 March 2011 21:17, Trevor Vaughan <tvaug...@onyxpoint.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's that easy.
>
> In Fedora, at least, network materials are grouped into the
> 'initscripts' package and items such as /etc/hosts and /etc/services
> are in the 'setup' package.
>
> You almost would need a LSB category to give these a really broad
> header (where applicable).
>
> I'm not sure if that's a good idea though.
>
> Perhaps: etc_services, etc_hosts , etc_networks etc...?
>
> It's based on where they live but that seems to be more consistent
> than anything else.

I can't speak for Fedora's packaging, but my impression is that these
files are all ultimately serving the name service, configured via
/etc/nsswitch.conf and thus part of GNU libc. The absence of any of
these files due to packaging differences should be irrelevant, since
they (AFAIK) are all default choices of the name service switch
config, and hence have the same basic format.