Just as a heads up--there have been some minor changes to that code in
puppet over the last few months.  (Particularly, some special handling of
the case where the "~" character appears in the user's PATH.)  I am not
sure if these changes are relevant to facter (because I don't think Facter
is doing as much manipulation of environment variables prior to spawning
processes as puppet is), but it would be worth a quick once-over before
this gets merged in, if it is decided that this is the way to go.

The pull req looks good to me, though, overall.