On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Jeff Weiss <jeff.we...@puppetlabs.com>
 wrote:

 Facter itself will not use the cache. If you have an application that
> needs facts and needs them quickly, you may read the yaml file on disk.

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:38 AM, Ken Barber <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

And from memory PE already does this.

I mean a cron job with:

> facter -y > /var/lib/facter/cache.yaml

Based on past experiences I am always a little unnerved by the idea of
using a file on disk as "API".  It is revealing an implementation detail of
your program that makes it much harder to make changes in the future
without breaking backwards compatibility.  That concern, combined with
Ken's  cron job snippet, gives me the inclination to say that people can
fairly achieve what you are describing without us formally committing to
that as an "API"... and that seems like a win to me.