On 31.05.2012 03:33, Chris Price wrote:
Interesting idea.  I don't think we've done much experimentation with a
single-vcs-repo => multiple modules setup.  Do you draw a firm
distinction between modules and classes here?  E.g., if you could elect
to only use certain (pg-specific or mysql-specific) classes from within
a single module, your plumbing vs. porcelain issue would be satisfied,
would it not?

The last problem would be autoloading/naming. Classes from a common rdbms module would be all have to be prefixed with the module name to make autloading work.

But this is only a minor nit and shouldn't keep you from doing what you think is right.

Best Regards, David

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM, David Schmitt <da...@dasz.at
<mailto:da...@dasz.at>> wrote:

    On Tue, 29 May 2012 11:38:37 -0700, Chris Price
    <ch...@puppetlabs.com <mailto:ch...@puppetlabs.com>>
    wrote:
     > Thanks, David.  I think that something along these lines is where we
    will
     > likely end up at some point.  One question that has come up a few
    times,
     > though, is whether or not to package the implementation-specific
    stuff
    as
     > separate modules or as part of a single, larger module.

    I think a single _project_ is appropriate. That is, the same set of
    people, a single repo, a single tracker. This enables lock-step changes
    across the complete set of classes. I also think that separate modules,
    even if generated from the same repo, are the way to go for people
    who only
    want the plumbing, but not the porcelain.

    Best Regards, David