I was just thinking that if you are looking for a fact that changes,
then you just write a script for nagios (or whatever your monitoring
system is) that can check for fact changes. You'll have to have some
sort of baseline that it is checking against and then the script would
run facter and check against that baseline. I was thinking that it
would be more robust to keep the monitoring system asynchronous from
puppet.

Rather than patching puppet or PuppetDB, I think you should just
periodically query (look at the files or query PuppetDB or run facter)
and compare against a baseline value. You'll need to keep track of
what the baseline value is, but that shouldn't be a problem.

If you are going to use PuppetDB, then you can query for the nodes
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/0.9/spec_q_node.html) and then
the facts that you want
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppetdb/0.9/spec_q_facts.html)