----- Original Message -----

it also allows you to include non managed files into the final
result.

often you want users to edit some part of a file, lets say a motd
like:

   Machine overview

     - Machine notes
     - Machine notes

   Stupid security notice

you might want to give the machine owner the right to edit machine
notes while the systems team must be sure hte security notice is
always present, the concat module lets you do that.

   concat::fragment{"motd notes": ensure => /etc/machine_notes}

this is something I used to use a lot and I've not seen it in the
native concat modules.

Apart from that at the very least the file writer in the provider
of this one must write to a temp file and move that rather than
directly overwrite the destination, LOTS can go wrong with that
approach