On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM, Alex Harvey <alexharv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:19:40 AM UTC+11, Andy Parker wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Alex Harvey <alexh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am yet to fully get my head around what to_pson is used for.  However, I
> am wondering if this move to FIPS 140-2 compliance and Jeff's comment about
> ruby segfaulting when using MD5 means I should handle a case where neither
> SHA1 nor SHA256 is available differently.

So, the deal with FIPS 140-2 is that they made it a failing grade for
your crypto library to support MD5, full stop.  So, if OpenSSL is
compiled in FIPS 140-2 compliant mode, MD5 is unavailable.

Ruby blindly assumes that it exists.  It also assumes that SHA1 and
friends exist based on the date version of OpenSSL, without a check on
the FIPS 140-2 status.

They might fix their bug and stop segfaulting, but you absolutely need
to be concerned that the SHA1 algorithm may not exist for long; it has
shown some weakness, and the US government are slowly moving away from
it to other algorithms.  The SHA3 process was part of that.

I have no strong opinion here, just that information. :)

--
Daniel Pittman
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com