On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Jeff McCune <j...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM, Lukas Hetzenecker <
> lukas.hetzenec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> i developed a module for puppet that handles the ssh key management in a
>> saner way.
>> The biggest shortcomings of the ssh_authorized_key resource are listed in
>> Puppet bug #1531 and should be fixed with this approach.
>>

> Awesome.
>

>> Could a developer have a look at this code? Would it be possible to
>> include it in a future release of Puppet?
>>

> I've taken a look and it looks pretty good.  We could definitely include
> it in Puppet core, but it would need to fully replace the
> ssh_authorized_key type in Puppet.

Yeah, for us to take this on it would need to be compatible with the
existing ssh_authorized_key type and provider.

> A better approach may be to remove the ssh_authorized_key type from Puppet
> entirely and host your module on the Puppet Forge.  Over time, we're hoping
> Puppet core gets slimmer instead of bigger.

I think publishing this on the forge would be a great idea. It does leave
open the question of what we should be doing with the things that are
already in core. It is a shame to have them rot and force everyone to
download another module to get working ssh_authorized_key management. My
plan for slimming down puppet was to pull out types and providers to put
them on the forge and then bundle some back in during packaging so that we
still had a "batteries included" puppet installation. We still need to
figure out how to do that in a manner that "just works".