On Tue, 2013-05-21 at 15:03 -0700, Wil Cooley wrote:
[snip]
> After a little tracing, it looks like it's the result of loading
> webrick in puppet/util/monkey_patches.rb:
>
> /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/puppet/util/monkey_patches.rb:419::-: require 'webrick'
>
> Which was added in ec462b7b: (#18781) Be more tolerant of old clients
> in WEBrick server
>
> Since this is just twiddling a constant (does that count as
> monkey-patching?), wouldn't this maybe be better done in
> lib/puppet/network/http/webrick.rb? If I understand it correctly,
> these monkey-patches get applied for every invocation of puppet, even
> if it's just "puppet --version", so it seems like it should be as
> minimal as possible.

Yes, I concur that it's a bad thing to load webrick on a command-line
puppet (or even the agent if it doesn't listen). Those monkey patches
should be splitted depending on the puppet use case.

I suggest you file a redmine ticket about this issue (and I'm sure
you'll certainly won't be the first to be hit by this dns resolution
issue).

--
Brice Figureau
Follow the latest Puppet Community evolutions on www.planetpuppet.org!