On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 7:27 AM, Henrik Lindberg <
henrik.lindb...@cloudsmith.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> There are a number of things to discuss and decide as the work on Puppet 4
> is to start quite soon. I will be posting several topics (in separate
> threads).
>
> In summary:
> * There are a number of language features and issues to resolve; finalize
> ARMs (2, 3, 4, 8, 9, ...), internationalization, syntax details

I don't think we need to tackle all of these for Puppet 4.

> * We need a way to refer to language revisions (as opposed to puppet
> overall version)

I agree we need a way to talk about the version of the language, but I'm
unconvinced that we need to have the ability to select multiple versions of
the language in the same process for the same run.

> * Evaulator issues (let's tackle undef, and a bunch of other things)
> * Model / Catalog issues / features (anchor pattern, subgraphs,
> containment, etc.)

Anchor pattern is already being worked on (and I think is the same as
containment that you list). It is looking like we will be using the
resource syntax for classes, but I haven't seen the final proposal from
Patrick yet.

What do you mean by subgraphs?

> * Requirement on module metadata and the forge

Could you be more specific? I'm not sure what this is referring to.

> * Puppet doc
>
> And a lot of other things I am sure.

I would have a slightly different list:

  * Split the codebase (master/agent/common? apps/types+providers/language?
something else?). We need to decide where the right lines are to make the
split and then figure out the work that it will take to get there. This may
or may not change how puppet is deployed, but I think we can do it in a
manner where we deploy in the same manner as right now.
  * Promote the egrammar to the default grammar. Do we keep the old grammar
around for ease of migration for users (I think we shouldn't)?
  * Optimize the egrammar. It has to be faster than the existing grammar,
otherwise I don't think we can promote it.
  * #8040 - anchor pattern. I think a solution is in sight, but it didn't
make 3.3.0 and it is looking like it might be backwards incompatible.
  * Puppet Doc - I agree, this has sat and rotted for too long. It doesn't
show up on any of our roadmaps :( It seems to have just been forgotten
about.
  * Remove all of the currently deprecated functionality (activerecord
store configs, many other things)
  * Reboot support - This is being worked on, but didn't make it in time
for Puppet 3.3 (part of it did, but not all of it)

Something that we also need to work out is how much Puppet 4 can break
compatibility. I've been aiming for the conservative approach were we try
to only break compatibility, when possible, by first providing a
deprecation warning for the old behavior, have the new behavior available
at the same time and then remove the old behavior in a major release. This
approach would mean that we can't change language semantics for the Puppet
4 release because we haven't deprecated a lot of the behavior and provided
a new set of behaviors. I'm willing to be told that we can take a larger
step than that, though.

Those are all of the things that we need to do that I know about. We
haven't decided on the timeline for 4.0 yet, but I suspect we should be
aiming for the end of the year. In the meantime, we, the PL employees, also
have to keep up on maintenance on PE and Puppet 3, so that is something to
keep in mind for the scope and how much we can do.

--
Andrew Parker
a...@puppetlabs.com

*Join us at PuppetConf 2014, September 23-24 in San Francisco*