I've been following this discussion for some time. As it progressive I've
found myself fighting internally, going one way and then the other about
how this should really be.  I keep coming back to the same place -  this is
a bug and Luke's original statement is very important:

The fix should require no changes to syntax or usage; merely the cessation
> of use of the anchor pattern.

I don't think adding a new 'contain' function is really appropriate.  From
a module developer standpoint what does 'contain' mean? Why should I use
it? When should I use it? I think it will cause so many questions that
you'll end up with a whole different problem on your hands.  On top of that
you will have people that just continue to use 'include' and the problem
will still be there.

In my mind, if I use 'include' or class resource syntax it means 'make sure
this is in the catalog *at* or *before* this class'. I don't care what
contained means. As such, I expect that when I include/declare a class that
the class *and all* of it's included resources/classes/etc get put in the
catalog *at* or *before* my class. On the face it's that's simple, it makes
sense, and people will understand it. I think the fix for the anchor
pattern needs to require no more than this from a module developer
standpoint.