On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM, badgerious <badge...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If we support this functionality and there is a failure during the catalog
>> run after a reboot at the end has been requested, what would be your
>> expectation for the system.
>>

>> Would you expect it to:
>>

>> A) still reboot
>>
> B) not reboot
>>
> C) something else (please comment)
>

> I vote A. As I understand it, skipping the reboot means throwing it into
> the oblivion; there's no way for the next puppet run to pick the reboot up
> because the event triggering it probably won't occur again.

If a notify/subscribe relationship causes a reboot to be scheduled, but is
not performed due some other resource failing, then the event will be lost.
This is a general problem with events in puppet actually[1].

If puppet detected that a reboot is pending, e.g.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations, and a reboot is scheduled, but not
performed for same reasons as above, then puppet should reschedule the
reboot the next time it runs (assuming the catalog remains the same).

> I've had plenty of small, inconsequential failures and wouldn't want them
> affecting other (reboot requiring) things.
>
> It may be in a state that won't boot cleanly due to the failing half run
>> catalog.
>

> I would think that a sequence of steps that may result in an unbootable
> system should be ordered such that the last item is the reboot, which would
> get around that issue.
>
> Eric
>
>>   --

So it sounds like there is agreement on option A?

Josh

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/3806

--
Josh Cooper