On 2014-19-07 17:43, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
On 2014-19-07 10:51, David Schmitt wrote:

[...snip...]
We will have a new catalog model (the result built by the new catalog
builder slated to replace the current compiler). There we have a richer
model for defining the information about resources. We also have a new
loader system that knows where code came from. Thus, anything loaded at
the environment level (i.e. node definitions) knows it is in a higher
layer.

Slick. The next question then is: How does the user know? ;-) And How
fine-grained are "levels"? Each entry on the module path? Will I be able
to query the puppetmaster for a report on which sources influenced (or
did not influence) a specific value?

The model is borrowed from OSGi. Each "component" has visibility into
its own things, and on the things it depends. A component may have
private things that are not visible to other components. (OSGi also has
a "friend" concept that we did not implement, and we have not (yet?)
implemented "re-publish" (i.e. that one module (A) has visibility into
another (B) and making its public loadable entities available to those
who depend only on A). For that to make sense we need a way to alias the
things in (B) or something in (C) can not address them because it only
knows about things in the a:: namespace. (Either that or that a
component may publish things in other name spaces under certain
conditions).

I should also have mentioned that in Puppet 3.7 future parser (and 4.0), the new loaders are only used for the functions using the new Functions API. We expect to move the rest over in stepwise fashion.

Also, worth mentioning is that modules that lack meta data, or have no dependency section in their metadata has visibility into the environment and every other module.

- henrik

--

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/