On Thu Nov 06 2014 at 6:33:55 PM Henrik Lindberg <
henrik.lindb...@cloudsmith.com> wrote:

> On 2014-06-11 12:04, Luke Kanies wrote:
> > A fourth option would be to combine the best of Resources and exported
> > resources:  Build a querying system akin to exported resources, but
> > against the current system, rather than against the catalog.  Or really,
> > take the exact same querying we already have, but provide the ability to
> > control where it's searching against, and what to do with the results.
> >
> > This is my preferred solution.  It makes querying more powerful, and
> > separates the concept of querying from the source of the data.
> >

> I like this a lot. There are some design challenges though as this
> pushes the querying to the agent, and that this is probably best
> supported at the language level rather than being expressed as a
> function. (This because variables etc. in a query needs to be
> evaluated/resolved in scope when the catalog is produced, just like they
> are today in virtual/exported collection).

I'm in favour of a more generic query solution here instead.

> > I really do think this kind of functionality should be supported at the
> > framework level, and more hacks like Resources aren't the best long term
> > solution.
> >
> Agree.

I guess this could be built into the resources type and be made backwards
compatible, but then the query would either be a string with lots of
variable interpolation, or it would be an array and look something like the
puppetdb query API. Neither seem very appealing, so building it into the
language itself would probably be best, like the other collectors.