On Nov 22, 2014 4:22 AM, "Gareth Rushgrove" <gar...@morethanseven.net>
wrote:

> I'd love some feedback on this PR, which adds the private function to
> the puppet-module-skeleton that a bunch of people use.
>
> https://github.com/garethr/puppet-module-skeleton/pull/43

> And I'm on the fence too. Any thoughts?

As a general principle, I'm not crazy about not being able to use the
x::install or x::service classes independent of the main class or whatever
the "expected" interface is. x::config or auxiliary subclasses I could see.

Being able to use the subclasses is an important feature for migrating to
using the module, either from an unmanaged system, a different module or
even a different configuration management tool.

For example, my work environment is a legacy Cfengine shop and we still
have quite a number of  EL5 systems co-managed with Cfengine[1]. As I add
the ability to manage some service in Puppet, I can easily do so for new,
pure-Puppet systems. But for systems managed originally w/Cfengine, I might
not want to redo the configuration in the way that it's done with the
Puppet module, but I can at least switch the service and package portions
to using Puppet.

Maybe this is just another facet of my belief in "don't be a proprietorial
asshole with data" and my preference for OO languages that have no
"private" concept, only naming conventions.

[1]. I have a script that reads /var/lib/puppet/classes.txt and makes
Cfengine classes by prepending "puppet_" and transforming "::" to
underscores. Then I litter the legacy Cfengine with !puppet_x_service or
whatever.