on a slightly different tangent:

Would it be possible to get the puppet 4.x packages named "puppet4" instead
of puppet?  This would allow for one to ensure that bug fixes for puppet
3.x would be installed as soon as they become available for those of us
sticking with 3.x, even after the 4.x release, without forcing the upgrade
to 4.x right away. (I, for one, have a lot of work to make that transition
possible).

To me, this looks a lot like the apache1/apache2 upgrade path, years ago,
where users were given a choice of which one they wanted to install, but
still provide an upgrade path for "fixes" after the apache2 release for the
original apache1x version.

Any strong opinions out there?

Jok