On Thu, Nov 27, 2014 at 2:06 AM, David Schmitt <da...@dasz.at> wrote:

> On 2014-11-26 19:02, Rob Reynolds wrote:
>
>> Making a switch to non-authoritative would be in the realm of
>> possibility for Puppet 4 given the short timeline. I think the
>> group_membership resource type could be something that could be done at
>> any time, and then the other properties deprecated and removed by Puppet
>> 5 or 6. Given that the group_membership is a bit larger and would need
>> more time for deprecations, I'd like to bring this back to just the
>> non-authoritative.
>>
>> Would it be a beneficial switch to move to non-authoritative?
>>

> Given that the groupadd provider is the only provider relevant to the
> majority of Linux systems, and it is INCAPABLE of managing group members,
> I'm slightly amused by that question. Therefore I follow John's point of it
> being a net win based on principles as it cannot influence any of my
> systems.

Everyone seems to be in agreement about this aspect so we created
PUP-3719[1] to address the smaller change for non-authoritative. For the
other items, please create tickets (feel free to point back to this
discussion) and we can get them prioritized. Thanks!

[1] https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-3719

> Regards, David
>
> --
> * Always looking for people I can help with awesome projects *
> Twitter: @dev_el_ops G+: https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchmitt
> Blog: http://club.black.co.at/log/
> LinkedIn: http://at.linkedin.com/in/davidschmitt

Rob Reynolds
Developer, Puppet Labs

*Join us at **PuppetConf 2015, October 5-9 in Portland, OR - *
http://2015.puppetconf.com/
*Register early to save 40%!*