Hey,

good points - state retention at whatever granular level would be a good
general purpose tool to have. If it's built in a pervasive fashion
(i.e., any provider might use the cache for whetever it deems
appropriate), it gains added visibility and becomes more opaque to the
user - which is a good thing, and addresses one of the major concerns
I'm having with this. The other being that it needs to be tunable for
the user in some fashion.

I have no qualms about disk I/O - after all, the user can choose
whatever block backend they want. Users who depend on low latency or
need to save IOPS can employ a tmpfs, for example.

Cheers,
Felix