On 19 April 2015 at 04:02, Peter Foley <pe...@ifoley.id.au> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
>> New custom facts can be distributed as Puppet modules. See
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/plugins_in_modules.html. If you have a
>> concrete set of facts you'd like to propose, you can follow up with them or
>> put them up as a PR to Facter, but there's a good chance we'll ask that you
>> release them as a module instead. It depends on what function the facts are
>> trying to fulfill.
>

> If your proposed facts don't make it into the facter core set of facts could
> I suggest rather than creating a new module you develop a pull request
> against the puppetlabs-aws module [1] which is currently being worked on.
> This module already requires the aws-sdk-core ruby gem you mentioned.
>
> [1] - https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-aws

You might also be interested in
https://github.com/mrzarquon/puppet-ec2tags, which exposes tags on an
EC2 instance and uses the aws-sdk to do so. You could also use this as
a basis for a separate module exposing other facts based on API calls.

Their are a number of things like this available from the API but not
from the metadata. I'm unsure whether these would be better as facts
in the AWS module, or as separate modules (maybe with a dependency
from the AWS module). My gut feeling is the later.

Gareth

> Peter

Gareth Rushgrove
@garethr