On May 14, 2015, at 4:00 PM, Erik Dalén <erik.gustav.da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 2015 at 21:45 Trevor Vaughan <tvaug...@onyxpoint.com
> <mailto:tvaug...@onyxpoint.com>> wrote:
> Hmm....what about a concept of deferred actions?
>
> I.e. Try this resource, can't do it, shove it (and it's dependencies) to the
> bottom of the stack and do everything else, then come back to it.
>
> If puppet would think that the provider is not yet suitable it would do
> exactly this AFAIK. Would be interesting to "exploit" that mechanism to defer
> the processing of that subgraph instead of just blocking.

It wouldn’t be too hard these days to just support this directly, rather than
hacking it with provider suitability.  Last I heard, Nick Lewis or Patrick
Carlisle were the best to ping about this.

You basically just need a simple boolean method that indicates whether a
resource is ready, then the system to defer resources that aren’t ready.  That
patch would surely get accepted. :)

FWIW, I think it’s a great idea, and would really help.

I do think we should support parallelization, but I think that’s also a harder
and less universally desired problem.

—
http://puppetlabs.com/ | http://about.me/lak | @puppetmasterd