In the next few weeks we’ll be releasing facter 3, a native (compiled
C++11) implementation of facter. Note that the only packages containing
facter 3 will be the puppet-agent packages (e.g. there will be no facter 3
gems).

This change may have some workflow implications for module developers, and
we’d love to get some feedback on that, ideas for improvements, etc.

Starting with spec tests: no change *needed* but a small caveat.
Specifically, a module can continue to test against gems using its Gemfile,
including using the latest puppet 4 and facter 2 gems. The caveat is that
those spec tests will then *not* be running against facter 3. Facter 3
supports the facter 2 ruby api for custom facts, so that should “just work”
(and we don’t know of any issues where it doesn’t) but at the same there is
some risk there.

However, fear not! You can spec test against facter 3 (or more generally
against puppet-agent) like so:

   -

   install the desired puppet-agent build
   -

   comment out the puppet and facter lines from your Gemfile
   -

   profit!

On a related note: some such puppet-agent based workflow for specs may be
the long-term direction we want to take module spec testing, so that we’re
testing against the curated combination of puppet/facter/ruby/etc that a
puppet-agent build represents, as opposed to the larger combinatorial
matrix (e.g. X puppet versions vs Y facter versions vs Z ruby versions)
that many spec tests use today.

Moving on to module acceptance tests: here I’d more proactively encourage
module testing to move to using puppet-agent packages for acceptance tests.
This will be a benefit both for the facter 3 issue at hand, but more
generally (as mentioned above) to ensure that acceptance tests are run
against the puppet/facter/ruby/etc combinations that PL itself tests
against.

Hope that all makes some sense. Please chime in with any comments.

Thanks,

Kylo
--
Kylo Ginsberg | k...@puppetlabs.com | irc: kylo | twitter: @kylog

*PuppetConf 2015 <http://2015.puppetconf.com/> is coming to Portland,
Oregon! Join us October 5-9.*
*Register now to take advantage of the Early Adopter discount
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/puppetconf-2015-october-5-9-tickets-13115894995?discount=EarlyAdopter>
*
*—**save $349!*