Hi Bryan,

I'm sorry to hear about this as I have a lot of interest in this particular
topic.

So, I have a Native Concat (with the latest version here:
https://github.com/simp/pupmod-simp-concat) and Richard Clamp wrote Datacat
(https://github.com/richardc/puppet-datacat) which took a similar, but
different approach.

I apologize if I missed it, but is there a document that I can hit
regarding the development of this new capability?

It would be great if we could argue the three approaches so that the needs
that we had when we developed our versions are met in the Puppet Labs
supported version.

I'm 100% behind tossing my code if someone else is going to do the heavy
lifting but it needs to meet my requirements to be able to integrate it
successfully.

Thanks,

Trevor

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Bryan Jen <bryan....@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> If you aren’t using puppetlabs-concat or are still using the
> puppetlabs-concat module with version 1.x you don’t need to continue
> reading. But, if you’re using puppetlabs-concat 2.0.x...
>
> tl;dr - we have uncovered an issue in the Puppet core that impacts the
> puppetlabs-concat 2.0.x series and are deleting those releases from the
> forge. Please downgrade your environments to use puppetlabs-concat 1.2.x.
>
> We recently reworked the puppetlabs-concat module to transition from an
> exec running a ruby script to concatenate files together to a native type
> (hooray!). This gave us vast performance improvements, but with the way the
> type was implemented we ended up running into a Puppet bug (
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-1963)
> that we can’t effectively work around with the existing code. Due to this,
> we’re pulling the 2.0.x release series. The Puppet bug was causing us to
> not properly propagate notify and subscribe metaparameters triggered by
> changes in puppetlabs-concat resources. This means that, for example,
> services subscribing to concat resources will not get restarted when the
> configuration file is updated.
>
> To mitigate these issues, the puppetlabs-concat 2.0.x releases will be
> deleted from the forge. They will still be available for download but will
> not be installable using the PMT. We are still hoping to rework
> puppetlabs-concat to use a native type, however we don’t have a firm
> timeline for when that work will happen.
>
> --
> Bryan Jen
> *bryan....@puppetlabs.com <bryan....@puppetlabs.com>*
> Modules Software Engineer
>
> *PuppetConf 2015 <http://2015.puppetconf.com/> is coming to Portland,
> Oregon! Join us October 5-9.*
> *Register now to take advantage of the Early Adopter discount
> <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/puppetconf-2015-october-5-9-tickets-13115894995?discount=EarlyAdopter>
>  *
> *—**save $349!*

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/CAHak91XrJrq%3DWTa03t1RTn%3DNowwHrPxL_qRDE%2B4Qr3j7o4%3DPDQ%40mail.gmail.com