Hello,

I've activated caching on our Puppetservers, using the admin API to
invalidate the cache upon deploying new environments. However, this only
caches manifests, and catalogs still need to be compiled for every request.

I'm thinking (at least in our case) it wouldn't be totally crazy to cache
catalogs on the master so long as:

* manifests are not changed (this is taken care of by the r10k hook + admin
API)
* data do not change (same, since we deploy hiera data with r10k)
* facts do not change.

Obviously, *some* facts always change (uptime, memoryfree, swapfree, etc.),
but most of them don't. So the idea would be to add a parameter in
puppet.conf with the name of these facts that should be used as a basis for
invalidating the catalog, and use the other facts to decide when a catalog
should be recompiled.

Is there already some kind of code doing that, or any opinion/feedback on
this idea?

Cheers,

Raphaël