On 23 July 2015 at 03:44, Kylo Ginsberg <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> the entire transaction when only a single type is unprefetchable is a bit of
>> an over-reaction. We know that instances of that type (really just ones of
>> that type/provider pair) are bad, and we absolutely shouldn't apply them.
>> The rest of the catalog is still fine, though.
>>
>> The two exceptions that are supported allow a Puppet run to install any
>> packages/gems that a provider might need in order to prefetch. Skipping only
>> the resources that would have been prefetched instead of the entire catalog
>> serves that same purpose.
>

> I can see this argument. I'm still concerned that this would mean we aren't
> surfacing bugs that really should be exposed to the light of day. I suppose
> we could report the one case with a Warning and the other with an Error.
>
> But assuming we go ahead and do something like this (I see I'm the only one
> with the slightest reservation :)), I'm thinking we should audit how puppet
> handles exceptions in providers during catalog application but *outside*
> prefetch. It would be nice to be consistent throughout catalog application.
>

>> Aborting the entire catalog also makes remediation with Puppet (when
>> puppet could be used for such) impossible, which seems super bad to me.
>

> Is it impossible? Couldn't you remediate with a catalog that doesn't include
> resources that will tickle prefetch from that provider? Not trying to
> quibble (i.e. yes, that could still be a PITA), but making sure I'm not
> missing something.
>

>>> Btw (and perhaps I should have asked this from the get-go before opining
>>> above): what was the exception in PUP-4813 that precipitated this thread?
>>

>> The bad catalog from that ticket set the `target` field of mount to a
>> directory, which causes some sort of IO exception to be raised when
>> ParsedFile tries to access that directory as a regular file.
>

> Ooh fun. So we should fix that to be more robust. Separate ticket than this
> thread though.
>

>> This is what inspired my bullet point below - ParsedFile should be smart
>> enough to know which resources have a bad target and which are OK, and
>> appropriately fail only the ones it can't work with.

>>> How would this work? A new hook for providers to implement? If so, it'd
>>> be nice to flesh out a couple examples use cases so that we can think
>>> through the API with something concrete.
>>

>> It's probably already "doable" by having prefetch mark the returned
>> provider instances as bad in some way, and the provider implementation for
>> flush could raise an exception. I'd prefer to see something at the
>> transaction layer, though. I'll think through what this might look like
>> more.
>

> Well, definitely some charm to not adding new methods that we have to
> sprinkle respond_to? tests around for. So the former approach might just
> fly.
>
> I'd also like to think through whether there are additional motivating use

For some relevant colour we hit this problem hard with the AWS module.
We're prefetching a lot of complex data in some cases and we're going
it over the wire - so it going wrong is pretty likely.

We worked around that at the time by creating our own Exception
inherited from Exception which does get caught by Puppet:

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-aws/blob/master/lib/puppet_x/puppetlabs/aws.rb#L7-L23

And then raising that in cases of StandardError based exceptions being
raised in prefetch.

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppetlabs-aws/blob/master/lib/puppet/provider/ec2_instance/v2.rb#L34-L36

Some more details in this issue too about the changes in 4.0.

https://jira.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-3656

Gareth

> Kylo
>
> --
> Kylo Ginsberg | k...@puppetlabs.com | irc: kylo | twitter: @kylog
>
> PuppetConf 2015 is coming to Portland, Oregon! Join us October 5-9.
> Register now to take advantage of the Early Bird discount —save $249!

Gareth Rushgrove
@garethr

devopsweekly.com
morethanseven.net