On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Ryan Coleman <r...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Chris Rigby <squ...@radioglitch.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My issue in particular is related to a bug introduced into the future
>> parser in 3.8.2.
>>
>> The bug breaks compilation when using a reserved keyword as a classname
>> when the future parser is enabled.
>>
>> See https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-5036
>>

> ​Chris, I'm still gathering a few details for a more complete reply but in
> the interim, I'd like to say the intent was to offer a warning which does
> seem to have a bug. This is also discussed in the ticket which introduced
> the reservation: https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-4941
>
> I'll reply shortly with more on the reasoning for the change.

Hello again Chris,

We’re moving to reserve the words application, produces and consumes as
keywords for a future addition to the Puppet language. Similar to the major
additions in Puppet 4, we’re trying to provide as much early warning as
possible so that adjustments can be made as needed when you’re working on
your code base. In this situation, the intent is to provide warnings when
those words are used with Puppet 3.8.2 —parser=future. Unfortunately,
you’ve encountered a bug that will be addressed promptly. Sorry about that.

As for the reason, we’re spending some time thinking about how to model
multi-node configurations. Though we’re a couple of months away from
concrete details, we know enough to begin to signal the reservation of new
keywords. A few of the ideas have been expressed by Luke Kanies in PRFC-6 and
David Lutterkort in a talk he gave at CfgMgmtCamp’15.
[1]
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-rfc/blob/master/prfc-6.capabilities/capabilities.md
[2]http://www.slideshare.net/lutter/appmgmt-cfgmgmtcamp2015