On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 11:08:08 AM UTC-6, Corey Osman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am curious on a few things
>
> 1. Is the custom type code run on the node or master, makes sense the
> provider is but not sure about the type code.

As I understand it, a custom type's own code -- or at least parts of it --
runs both in the agent and in the master.  To the best of my knowledge,
providers run only in the agent.

> 2. How would I use the commands syntax with a command path determined by
> parsing and XML file.  Or passed via the user.

I don't think you can do.  Maybe the XML file would work, if you are
willing to assume that its contents to be in place and correct before the
first Puppet run, and to not thereafter change, but those are pretty strong
conditions.  I don't see how the user could provide the information via a
Puppet manifest, because it applies to the whole class, whereas user data
is specific to individual instances, and user data anywat comes into play
only after the suitability-determination aspects the declared commands
comes into play.

> Basically I was hoping to do something like this:
>
> https://github.com/logicminds/puppetlabs-ibm_installation_manager/blob/refactor/lib/puppet/provider/ibm_pkg/imcl.rb#L46

I am uncertain where variable 'imcl_command_path' variable is coming from
in provider you point to, and uncertain whether that provider actually
works as intended.  If it does work reliably, then I presume the
constraints I gave earlier are satisfied (the data source is
pre-established, reliably correct, and unchanging for the duration of the
Puppet process in which the associated variable is used).

John