On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 3:44:05 AM UTC+11, Chris Price wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 8:16 AM, Alex Harvey <alexh...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> Yep, it's solved in Puppet 4 - the all-in-one package is fantastic, as is
>> so much in Puppet 4.  However PE hasn't release Puppet 4 yet;
>>

> OSS Puppet 4 was released almost a year ago.  Puppet 4 shipped in PE
> 2015.2.0 in July of last year.  There have been multiple Z releases and
> another Major release (2015.3.0) since then.

Thanks for clarifying that.  I haven't had an opportunity to play with the
latest PE offerings yet.

>> my assessment of the Puppet Forge is that not many modules out there are
>> ready; and I am not super confident that other tools in the ecosystem like
>> Beaker,
>>

> We user beaker to test *everything* in-house, including Puppet 4 itself,
> so it should work fine with Puppet 4.
>
> I'm not in Release Engineering, so I won't make any comments about why we
> do or don't maintain certain packages in the legacy yum repos, but I did
> want to just clear up those couple of misconceptions about the stability of
> Puppet 4.  Speaking as a developer, I'd also really like to hear any
> additional info about challenges in upgrading from 3 to 4 that we might be
> able to do a better job of helping folks with.

I was finding some issues when I was playing with it, although that was at
least six months ago now.

The main issue I still have, and I just checked again, is that too many
Forge modules say in their documentation that they're only supporting
Puppet 3.  E.g. Logstash, Nginx.  Now, maybe in actual fact they work fine
in Puppet 4; and that was mostly my experience when I played with it.  But,
you know, if someone's crazy Forge module doesn't work, users point the
finger at Puppet for that.