> On Feb 4, 2016, at 3:35 PM, Kylo Ginsberg <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 7:47 AM, R.I.Pienaar <r...@devco.net> wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> I would like to add a metaparameter - which I think is easy now via
>> Type.newmetaparam.
>
> We haven't been thinking of metaparameters as a general purpose extension
> point. This came up once before that I know of, about a year ago, and there's
> a little discussion of this in
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-4281. The conclusion we reached at
> the time was, more or less, to explore whether the desired change could be
> accomplished with a puppet function and/or a change to core puppet.

I don't remember my original logic for metaparams not being an extension point.
Given the system's support for easily loading this kind of plugin, it should be
easy to add.

The discussion on the ticket is pretty limited. We've got multiple use cases
here, and I have seen use cases in the past brought up, but they were mostly on
lists or in person, so I don't think they made it into the ticketing system.

RI - you up for a pull request to add the autoloading? Have you thought much
about how this might go wrong?

>> The thing that I can't seem to find any example of though is how to
>> make this metaparameter do something on the nodes for all providers
>> or all types.
>>
>> Imagine there's a metaparam that might describe how to test a resource
>> works, something like:
>>
>>    service{"httpd": validate => "check_http --port 80 -H localhost"}
>>
>> I'd then want to have some code that would be run on the agent nodes
>> for any resource that has this param set.
>
> I don't think something like this exists per se, but 'validate' might be one
> such example of something worth adding to core puppet. Fwiw, one
> resource-specific example added not too long ago is the file type's
> validate_cmd:
>
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/type.html#file-attribute-validate_cmd.
>
> Also, I'm guessing you're aware but another tool in the toolbox *might*
> include the postrun_command setting (which is *not* per-provider as you were
> thinking):
>
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/configuration.html#postruncommand

Ryan and others on his team have discussed ways of using the new
consume/produce system for doing service validation. I don't think the whole
system is quite in place, but there are some good ideas getting close.

That doesn't settle the generalized plugin capability issue, though.