I'm discovered some more info related to this issue, and it's rather
disturbing.  I hacked puppetd to print out what it is receiving from the
server and I believe I have found the issue, but unfortunately it seems
to bring more questions.

I have a 106 line config file that I modify a few lines in which is my
template.  The file the client receives has the modifications correctly,
however the last few lines of the file are messed up.  What seems to
have happened is that the first few lines of the file have gotten
re-inserted in the middle of a line near bottom of the file.  So
basically what should be:

NEGOTIATOR_HOST =\nCONDOR_HOST =\n\n## A list of all potential central
managers in the pool.\nCOLLECTOR_HOST = host.domain.com
## The size of replication log file\nMAX_REPLICATION_LOG = 640000\n##
Replication debug level \nREPLICATION_DEBUG = D_COMMAND\n## Replication
log file\nREPLICATION_LOG = $(LOG)/ReplicationLog\n"

Is instead:

NEGOTIATOR_HOST =\nCONDOR_HOST =\n\n## A list of all potential central
managers in the pool.\nCOLLECTOR_HOST = host.domain.com
## The size of replication log file\nMAX_REPLICATION_LOG = 640000\n##
Replica"NEGOTIATOR_HOST =\nCONDOR_HOST =\n\n## A list of all potential
central managers in the pool.\nCOLLECTOR_HOST = host.tion debug level
\nREPLICATION_DEBUG = D_COMMAND\n## Replication log
file\nREPLICATION_LOG = $(LOG)/ReplicationLog\n"

Has anyone else seen this before?

Rob