Sure, you can have the puppet clients pull config files from the master.
This is the primary purpose of a configuration management system. Having
puppet pull stuff from subversion is also possible, if that is what you
prefer, but a method I would go by. What we do is having all our puppet
configuration in subversion and then have a working copy of that on the
master. You will find that a lot of users in the puppet community would
recommend git instead of subversion for various reasons. Puppet is very
flexible and can be utilized in a lot of different manners.

I would just make a apache module and have that making sure the clients get
the config files they are supposed to.

Regards
Bjørn Dyresen