On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 5:14 AM, Stasheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> As I don't like abstract talking, I'll make an example of what I need.
>
> Let's say I have list of servers: A, B, C, D, E.
>
> Now, every server should have a config file (let's give it a name of
> "test.conf") in which it's primary and secondary backup is specified.
> It should be maintained as a list of backups, like:
>
> Cur Pri Sec
> A       B   C
> B       A   C
> C       B   D
> D       A   E
> E       D   B
>
> Perfect way would be to make associative table (ATable) and do sth
> like:
> Pri_back = ATable ($current_server, Pri)
> Sec_back = ATable ($current_server, Sec)
>
> and then use Ruby magic to put $Pri_back and $Sec_back into test.conf
> file.
>
> All of this, of course, in puppet modules ;-)...
>
> Can somebody point me to an idea how to create sth like this?
This sounds way complicated, this way. I suspect it would be simpler
and safer to either use a template that you passed the servers to via
variables or used the generate function to create the list on the fly
from a master script on the server.

If I get the setup correctly server A would have a file that listed
servers B and C as backup, server B would have a file that list
servers A and C, etc,etc. If this is correct the the simplest way
would be to just have two variables defined in the Node definition for
P_backup and S_backup. In your module just pass the variables to a
template to create the file.

Or Option 2, create a template with case logic that checks the node
hostname and then assigns the correct backups to the template. I
personally suspect the first choice is saner.

Evan