On Dec 19, 2008, at 7:55 PM, Nigel Kersten wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Carl Caum <carl.c...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know how to go about joining Mac OS X Leopard to an Active
> Directory domain with puppet?
> Primarily it needs to be broken down in to doing LDAP authentication
> with a few attribute mappings and using kerberos for the password
> authentication.
>
> You're going to want to push out your DS preferences and then do an
> exec for the joining of the machine account I imagine, although you
> could do some of this with templates.....
>
> How were you doing this before Puppet?
>
> There are no native types now, because those of us doing the Mac
> stuff with Puppet don't work in AD environments :)
>
> I'm more than happy to spend time helping you work through this
> though Carl. I'm reasonably familiar with AD integration even though
> we don't do it here.
>
> This would be a great recipe to get up on the Puppet wiki.

We are in a large AD environment using Puppet. We currently handle the
AD joining outside of Puppet with a python script in a launchd job
that runs at first boot, though we will probably be moving this to
Puppet.

The typical steps are:
Make sure time server is set and time is set correctly  ( ntpd.conf or
exec systemsetup )
Activate AD plugin by enabling it in DirectoryService.plist.  ( just a
simple key value but I think you need to restart DirectoryService for
it to notice )
Configure AD plugin using dsconfigad options.  ( this can take a lot
of options  all of these just change key values in
ActiveDirectory.plist )
Join to domain using dsconfigad with a limited AD account and password
with permissions to add machines to your OU.  ( this would need to
exec the dsconfigad command with username, password, OU, machine join
name.  Unfortunately the password is passed to dsconfigad in clear
text as a parameter )
Set the authentication search path to Custom, and include your AD
domain node using dscl.  ( dscl exec )

We do manage the time server with Puppet and setting a couple of
mapping attributes in the AD plists.

I'm happy to help you get this all working in Puppet as well.

Kyle